2010-08-08

Thunder strikes again

Marvel's newest bit of hype is somewhat promising:



Mainly, because Tom DeFalco (who has already been revealed as the writer of a Thunderstrike revival, actually understands what the word "Heroic" means. Of course, it's likely that the only reason he was given this book was to milk the Thor movie for all it is worth (I expect a Beta Ray Bill mini any day now) but if it leads to a good story, I can deal.

The picture suggests a teenager acquires the mace, and given DeFalco's involvement, he's almost certainly Kevin Masterson, son of the original. It's unclear if he'll absorb the powers of the mace like his MC2 counterpart, but I hope not... I always liked the mace's design.

Speaking of the movie, I saw an interview late last week on Collider where the screenwriters reveal that they are using the old "Asgardians aren't real gods, but aliens" chestnut in the movie. I guess that's why they lost the "period piece" feel. It's not a deal breaker, but I'm a little disappointed.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Gods. Aliens. One person's magic is another's technology. Perhaps to some earlier civilization (i.e. Norse) these aliens were so powerful to be as gods to them. I could buy that.

Mario Di Giacomo said...

Oh sure, it's a perfectly valid approach (indeed, there was a video game called Too Human that followed that basic premise). The problem is that I'm a HUGE Walt Simonson fan, and he embraced the magical aspects whole-heartedly.

Like I said, not a deal-breaker, but a little disappointing.

mike fox said...

cool post, i certainly hope there's a Beta Ray Bill mini, even if it is just a stepchild project in lieu of the movie lol.

Mario Di Giacomo said...

It certainly wouldn't surprise me (he's in the THANOS IMPERATIVE, currently) but look at my next post...