2010-07-14

Look! Out on the Road!

So, J. Michael Straczynski's first issue of Superman comes out today, and DC has a preview.

Now, I've gone on record elsewhere describing my problems with his recent output (to put it briefly, he is too enamored with the "Seeing superheroes through the eyes of the common man" trope to actually write them being heroic), but that's not what caught my eye.

This did. Page 6, panel 3: "They'll lose interest, you'll see".

Now, call me a cynic, but if even Superman himself thinks his trip will be so dull, the press will get bored, why would anyone want to read it?

The whole thing seems a bit silly. Superman is going to walk across the country, without using his powers actively... unless someone argues with him, or something important comes up. That's a real sacrifice there, Clark.

Jeez, why not take some time off, go back to Smallville, and talk to people there, without making a big deal of it? Or just hang out at Bibbo's Ace of Clubs for an afternoon.

Oh well, if the usual pattern applies, he'll get bored or irritated, and leave the book early. I can wait. I have my All-Star Superman back issues. :)

No comments: